Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Kronos Quartet, Nonavut

I'd heard these guys on the radio, but the live concert (at Disney Hall) was quite an experience. The quartet's performance constantly reminded of what a physical act music really is. This was especially so in the pieces that involved guest artist Tanya Tagaq. I must predicate the following comments with the comment that - as crazy as it is - I "got" Yoko Ono when I saw her in concert (1999). I'm not going to listen to Yoko albums in the comfort of my home (except for Double Fantasy's "Give Me". That's hilarious.), but I'm not going to berate her as an insane warbler, as one very well might. This concert reminded me a lot of that experience. Apparently Tanya Tagaq has paired in the past with Bjork, and I can see why, but the most mellow Tagaq moment makes Bjork's most avant garde seem as poppy as Brittney Spears. Ms. Tagaq's performance, in fact, reminded me greatly of Ms. Ono's... if Ono could sing. This Inuit throat singing was nothing like I expected, but it clearly involves great skill. In between the orgasmic pantings, a pretty soprano would surface. This blend of cute and guttural struck me as surprisingly musical. How could such a clean sound survive the sandpaper aerobics that the vocal chords must surely endure? I don't know, but it was nice. Rated 2++

No comments: