Thursday, September 20, 2007

Epic Movie

I think I expected more from a cast including Kal Penn, Fred Willard, Crispin Glover, and Kevin McDonald. The movie had a few laughs, but mostly very fleeting, based on impressive makeup/ prop recreations. The pop culture references needed to move much faster and be more cohesive to be effective. The movie in general would have been funnier if it hadn't relied on the same tired joke throughout the movie: Wow, isn't it inappropriate to juxtapose rebellious hip-hop references with a blockbuster family film?! Tumnus' "Cribs" was a great starting point, but it should have moved on from there. Alas. On the bright side, I didn't necessarily feel as though I wasted 80 minutes of my life. I rate this a "5", because the opposite of "good" isn't "bad", it's "neutral"... I'll probably forget this movie in a few months.

No comments: