Thursday, September 20, 2007

Goat Media Review

I wanted to start this blog last month, after finishing Zora Neale Hurston's novel "Their Eyes Were Watching God". That book was one of the best I have read probably in years, and I decided that I should actually keep track of the media I consume, before my impressions are fogged by time.

(The book's appeal reminded me of "The Sopranos" -- not in any plot points or characters or atmosphere, but in the way that it defies stereotype. Both "shows" took the cache of characters and scenarios that I'm used to encounter in mafia movies and black novels, respectively, and just when I thought they would kick in... they didn't. And not self-consciously so, but freshly so. Beautiful.)

So, this blog will attempt to capture my general impressions. I will try to be brief. I will probably refer to my "9-point" bell-curve scale, which I originated for rating films but can easily transfer:

1) Great Film (Requires at least two viewings to achieve this rating, but I'll probably make exceptions for books, since it's unlikely I'll read a book twice in any reasonable span of time.)
2)Good Movie
3) Enjoyable Flick
4) Better than average
5) Neutral
6)Worse than average
7) Bad
8) Really bad
9) Godawful

No comments: