Monday, October 15, 2007

Je commence - Les Miserables

It was a lazy weekend chez Goat, ripe for plentiful media consumption, not least of which being my beginning to read "Les Miserables" (Victor Hugo). I have to make a note so that I can gauge how long it takes me to plod through. At 900 pages (not including the lengthy preface and educational section), this baby is *still* abridged! It looks promising, though, that I will get through it eventually. The first book of the first book (there are five) was quite readable. I'm reading this in English because the thought of 900 pages in another language is just too much for me right now.
Interesting tidbit: I hadn't really noticed that Napoleon really only served as "Emperor" for 11 years. That's a whole lot of carnage/ effort for such a short reign. Jeez.

No comments: