Friday, October 5, 2007

Star Trek Enterprise - Pilot

I'll try not to be too harsh here. I understand that it is common in the Star Trek franchise for a series to take several seasons to find its groove. (Word on the street is that the first season of ST:TNG is mostly unwatchable, and that series turned out just fine.)
From the moment I opened my ears, I just knew that this Enterprise pilot is not going to be good. The theme is *horrifically* bad, and completely new background music would have greatly improved the viewing experience.
The good: I enjoyed a few of the scientific plot points, and the special effects were quite good, especially for television. As a linguistics aficionado, I appreciated the communications plotline, and I'll give benefit of the doubt that they flesh out the translator character (because she certainly seemed expendable here).
The bad: The characters' uber-Ugly American swagger (and the implication that such an attitude is what it means to be human. ) *really* annoyed me. (I will suspend disbelief on the premise that America is still the dominating superpower in 2151.) With so much testosterone on board (and the sexy Vulcan T'Pol reprising 7 of 9's role as eye candy), the show seemed geared toward high school jocks, which is so *not* the audience Star Trek folks should expect. I understand that this series takes place before the Federation, but how on Earth did that ignorant yokel make it on board such an exclusive mission? Do we not evolve between now and 2151? Rated 5.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ahhh, what to say? Tom and I spent time this past year watching all the episodes from "Enterprise". They were on 4 at a time. I like the story arc once they got going, some of the stuff is stupid, but we grew to adore the characters and of course for Tom - T'pol is HOT.
I would not rate it much higher than a 4 though...
Tam