Monday, December 10, 2007

Rifftrax: The Phantom Menace

As a Star Wars afficionado, I remember waiting for this movie to come out. (I even liked the 'new, improved' versions of the original series at the time.) The reviews were tepid, and money was tight, and it was still a big deal for me to pay the big bucks to see the film at the Ziegfield Theater in NYC. As they say, the journey is more important than the destination... particularly so in the case of this film. Embarrassingly bad. But when you add the talent of the folks from MST3K to the mix, you get me willing to waste another two hours of my life. Thanks to Rifftrax, at least I had fun at the destination. But I had forgotten just *how bad* the movie really is. I mean, it had the velocity to stop my decades of enjoyment of the entire franchise: Rated 8. And that may be tinged with generosity. (Why does nobody else seem to note how Lucas stole JarJar's pathetic shtick from "Full House's" Stephanie Tanner?)

No comments: