Thursday, December 6, 2007

Garden Junk

I have several books about garage sales, "creative" interior decoration, functional "recycling", etc. But this book lives up to its name. When she says "junk", this lady means rusty old chairs, old wooden crap with peeling paint, natty painting reproductions, and the like. All of the shabby, none of the chic. Shabby chic is not my style, but I could at least find some redeeming qualities in this book if it detailed some creative uses for ugly crap. This book, however, consists mostly of pictures of crappy crap piled on crappy tables in various areas of this lady's junk-filled yard (affectionately dubbed "The Garden Hutte", but with no whimsy to follow). The sparse text goes something like this: "Can you believe I paid $50 for this rusty old wheelbarrow? I have thirty of them, but I can always use another! I can't believe I passed one by in 1982 at my favorite salvage store!" No, I can't believe that you *took* that rustbucket into your yard, and that you have no more creative ideas for it than to collect some rusty watering cans in it. And this book has others in its series? Oyyy, this lady knows somebody important to be so well-published.... Very rare to see this: Rated 9.

No comments: