Friday, December 14, 2007

The Right Stuff

I didn't realize until I went to the Houston Space Center this past summer just how far behind we were in the Space Race. I grew up thinking that our space program was a crowning achievement in our glory. So, watching this, I'm wondering why the Russians don't have a movie called "The Righter Stuff". They were always one step ahead of us, until the moon landing. (I now also understand why there are so many conspiracies about that.) As if my patriotism isn't weak enough.
As I occasionally do, I had problems watching this movie. Too many guys who look alike. I can't keep track. Except for the blond John Glenn. My illustrious former-senator must have had input on the script, as this movie canonized him, while portraying the other astronauts as supremely flawed (but still good old American heroes!). I also didn't necessarily understand what Yeager had to do with anything. His story was interesting (perhaps more so than the other guys'), but without his side-story the film would not have lasted 3 hours.
Still, the film was far better than average. Good suspense (although manly jokes are pretty weak) 3/4.

No comments: