Sunday, January 6, 2008

Stardust

When I hear of a Gaiman book being translated to film (a major one at that), I am suspicious. Were I a director, I wouldn't even attempt to translate such brilliant fantasy to mere (visual/ cinematic) reality. The potential for disappointment is too great. I commend Matthew Vaughn for this effort. (I kept thinking - "This is how Terry Gilliam's films could be!") Surprisingly delightful casting and cinematography, special effects not at all cloying. Funny where it should be (although the pirate fairy could have been a bit more subtle), sappy where appropriate, and true enough to the book to not cause raised eyebrows. Reminiscent of "The Princess Bride", even.
But then there's the ending. Between making the happily ever after more happy than necessary and the mind-numbing credit song that follows the denouement, the mood is thrown out the window at the 11th hour, and my rating drops from a very solid "2 with potential" to a 2/3.

No comments: