Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Year of the Goat

Living the dream, man. Living the dream.
Spending a year on the road (kind of), visiting goat farm after goat farm, sampling all manner of tasty chevre. I'm not too keen on reading about goat slaughter and its meat byproducts, but let the omnivores have their fun. At least they talk about responsible slaughter. The talk of the cheese kept my mouth watering long enough so that I didn't care so much about the market for halal goat.
In theory, I wouldn't see myself caring too much to read a travel narrative by two upper-class(ish) Manhattanites and their search for a simpler life. (Isn't that what [*shudder*] New Jersey is all about?) But the prose was fun and accessible without being trite, and the tales were varied and well-organized. They also have done all of the research for what would be a few lovely vacations, in my book. (If I had read this last year, my trip to Texas' hill country would have been quite different.) Rated 3+.

No comments: